Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Blog 3 Lynn Brady- Pleasure Principle


Reading, The Pleasure Principle, reminded me just how important it is to allow time for students to read. They need to read a book that they really enjoy. I tell my students all the time to grab their book, find a comfortable place and get ready to read when it is our Independent time. I want them to be taken away within their book. This is very similar to what the author of this article was talking about when they referred to the Reading Zone. In my classroom, I have a quiet reading time every day. Students read alone or with me. I discuss with them what skill we are focusing on by having a mini lesson. I model what I want them to practice doing and then I let them read. I try very hard to make sure the students understand that it needs to be quiet and no moving around. This helps them to see that it makes it easier to “get in the Reading Zone”.

1 comment:

  1. Great job making sure that your independent reading time is meaningfully used. It's too easy to just let kids read and then try and get your own work done. The time you take to have conversations with your students about what they're reading and how they're applying their understanding of your mini-lessons is vital. This reminds me of the time a few years ago when we were expected to keep reading logs of our conferences. I found that recording what my readers were doing and having that as a reference for future conferences was very helpful. Are you currently using any note taking strategy to keep up with what your students are doing as readers? If not, I'd be happy to help if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete