Friday, October 30, 2015

Karmen Wade - Blog post 2: September: The Pleasure Principle



Karmen Wade - Blog post 2: September: The Pleasure Principle
As a teacher I read a lot. I read several books each day. This article really made me stop and think about the kind of reading that I do each day. I realized that yes I am reading a lot however what am I reading and why? I realized while reading this article that most of the time I am not reading for pleasure more so for requirement. Reading should not be a chore. As a teacher I want all of my students to fall in love with reading. I want my students to want to read all the time. I want my students to think of reading as a pleasure and not something they have to do in order to receive a grade. This article helped me realize that in order to help my students I need to reflect on my own personal view on reading. If I am excited about what I am reading than I can model that excitement for my students.  I can model how to read, how to read and think about what I am reading, and I can also model reading different kinds of genres for my students. I also need to give my students more time to just simply read. Read for fun not for a grade. I loved the part of the article where it talked about taking time to model reading for pleasure for your students. I also liked the idea of sharing with the students different strategies that adults do when they are reading. I am adding this strategy to my reading conferencing topics. I am excited to talk with my student’s one on one about this during our next reading conference!

2 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled to see that you are getting ideas about how to conduct reading conferences. Those are so important to getting to know your readers and helping them make progress. I never really thought to share my personal reading life with my fifth graders either. It makes sense though, that if they see their teachers as readers who don't read as a chore, that they would see the purpose in their own growth as readers. I'd love to see your conferences in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karmen,
    I loved Nancy Atwell's article too for the priority in placed on creating a joy for reading in our students and how to share our reading lives with them. I am thankful that you found several of the strategies helpful for your second graders. You wrote about how you want to model reading a book for enjoyment and modeling proficient reading strategies as well. I am excited about how you will use these with your conferences as well. Perspective and attitude are everything and I agree with Heather when they see the adults in their lives loving to read, they will be encouraged to pick up a book as well. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete