Saturday, October 31, 2015

Brittany Daly - Blog Post 3: Routman (2003), Ch. 5: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

The title of this chapter drew me in immediately.  I am currently in the process of reorganizing and revamping my classroom library, and I need all the expert advice I can get! In this chapter, Routman focuses on the major role classroom libraries play in creating a culture of literacy in the classroom. My classroom library has never been a strength in my classroom. While I have a fairly good selection of books, my library lacks organization. I am concerned that my library is not as easily accessible as it could be, and this could make book selection more difficult for my students. Routman notes that when students cannot easily find interesting materials to read, it is difficult for them to spend a lot of time reading. She writes that students should be able to easily see book covers and flip through books when they are searching for a text to read.  One of my goals in the coming week is to make my library more easily accessible to my students. I also want to create a better method for checking out books. I currently use a notebook where students can sign books out and back in, but I would like to try to use an electronic resource to accomplish this daily task. I need a way to keep students more accountable when they check books out so they are more likely to return them when they are finished.  


Routman also focuses on the need for a wide variety of texts in a classroom library.  The hope is that all students will have access to numerous books that are within their range of interest. Earlier this year, I asked my students to name some books, genres, and authors that they would like to have in our classroom library.  It can be hard to continuously stock the library so it meets the changing interests of each class, but I have been trying to acquire a few new books at a time so I can refresh my book selection. Recently, I purchased some new novel sets that I knew my students were going to love. When I introduced them to my students during an informal “book party,” my students were out of their seats begging to get a copy right away. I love to see such enthusiasm for reading, and I hope to continue to encourage my students’ love for reading this year by providing them with quality texts, a comfortable reading environment, and time to read books that they choose. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you are aware of the need to refresh your library each year. Money constraints can make that difficult but small changes can make your classroom library much more inviting for your new group of students. As far as organizing a check out system, you should check out what Ms. Turner is using. An app she found called BookSource is allowing her to scan titles and manage her classroom library from the accompanying website. Kids can scan the books and check them out under their names. I'm going to test it out on my own books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brittany,
    I really appreciate how you are working to apply what you are reading and learning about into your practice. You discussed how you wanted to work on reorganizing your classroom library and how you have been working on adding more variety of genres and books into your classroom as well. I love the idea of a book party so that your students could celebrate their new books and enjoy the classroom library you have created. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete