Monday, October 5, 2015

Marie Duncan Blog #3 Hood October Miscue Analysis

I relate well to the author's observations of her first grade students.  While teaching in the first grade classroom, watching young readers move their fingers and heads from left to right was significant.  One of two students were unable to turn the book upright in the correct direction.  These obserrvations were easily notable within the first hour and helpful to quickly assess reading levels and parent preparation at home for first grade.  

The examples of marking miscues was helpful.  Looking for patterns of miscues and then grouping children together to address is insighful.  I hope to be able to be as efficient assessing my students to know when and how to change out reading conference groups about every six weeks.  Currently, my low level of readers in my classroom has needed many teaching strategies I utilized while instructing in the first grade.  We have been successful the last two weeks modeling writing and copying as a class, then having students about the same level read to me in groups, and letting students praise and correct each other's work.  The students are hearing each other better than me one on one.  INTERESTING.  Even the lower students struggling to write a capital letter at the beginning of each sentence are seeing their errors more easily and making quicker steps to correct their habits.  
I appreciate the author's simple language and explanation of usage for the teacher to quickly evaluate student's progress.

2 comments:

  1. It's so helpful that your background with first graders is playing into your approach with your struggling readers. I'm also interested in your use of small groups. Having students work to help each other learn is a great idea! I bet this approach would work for all levels of students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    I loved reading your connections to miscue analysis discussed in this article. You explained how you watch students' behaviors during reading to help determine their needs and how during guided reading groups you provide your students with the opportunities to read to their peers and to provide feedback to each other's work. I know this helps them apply what they are learning with a purpose beyond a score or a grade. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete