Friday, October 30, 2015

Blog 1 Molly Peake

Blog Post 1-August
The Habit of Kidwatching
Molly Peake

Making informal and formal observations on students is something that teachers do on a regular bases.  Reading the article that O’Keefe wrote on The Habit of Kidwatching he explains the difference between an observation and Kidwatching.  When I first heard the term “kidwatching” I thought that some educator had just invented a new word for observing students.  However, O’Keefe defines kidwatching as when a teacher performs “direct, intentional and systematic observations” while taking observational data.  The data a teacher pulls from observations allows for analysis of a students’ weaknesses to drive instruction.


As I read the article it led me to reflect on the many possibilities to begin taking with data that observational data could provide.  I reflected on my own classroom practices and students.  With the Kidwatching data that I have begun to take I would like to utilize this information to aid my literacy instruction and make a better classroom.  I would like to report more to parents and students about authentic learning that is taking place in my classroom.  Hopefully, Kidwatching will fuel my desire to know more about each individual learner in my classroom, the learning process that each student possess, as well as areas of strengths and weaknesses that I have as a teacher.  I want to “learn to see what is really there” in my classroom and utilize to make not just a better classroom but the best classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you picked up on the fact that kidwatching entails more than just looking at a student. You use the information you gather to make instructional decisions for that student to best suit his or her learning needs. Kidwatching combined with conferencing and other formative assessments give you a better idea of how students are performing than a one time score on a standardized test. Your goal of being more intentional with kidwatching and helping students grow is a great one! I'd love to hear about how this informs your choices for instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly,
    I appreciate the thoughtfulness with which you approached this article and how you got that kidwatching wasn't just another template or activity, but rather an consistent way of informally gathering informal data on students to help inform your practice but also to really know our students and to see who they are, not just how they are doing on tests and formal assessments. This information matters and can be very beneficial. I am glad that you want to see what is there in your classroom so that your decisions can be validated and informed. Thank you! Dawn

    ReplyDelete