Friday, October 30, 2015

Miller Blog 1: The Habit of Kidwatching


The Habit of Kidwatching
By Timothy O’Keefe, Center for Inquiry, Richland District #2, Columbia, SC

Prior to this class, ‘kidwatching’ was a new term for me.  Although the term is new, I have been informally using the kidwatching habit in my own way for a few years.  The author of this article talked about how some strategies in teaching work some years and don’t in other years.  I have found that this is true on a daily basis for my classroom.  There are some strategies that work for some students on a given day that do not work for other students.  By closely watching my students, it is easier for me to determine if the strategy is not working or if there is something else that is hindering the student from learning a new skill.  I would imagine that this is much easier in my small groups as it would be in a large classroom setting.

I have students read aloud to me very frequently as I progress monitor.  Unfortunately, we have a specialized curriculum that include reading materials that do not allow students to make a selection based on their interests.  The reading materials are written to include phonics skill and high frequency words we have covered in each week and/or unit.  As a teacher, I find these selections to more difficult to comprehend because of the word choices the author of the curriculum uses to include certain skills.  During coaching sessions, I reteach skills we have learned that I notice students have not mastered.  I would be curious to see how students generalized these skills to reading selections they choose based on their individual interests.

The author included several questions that he asks students during coaching sessions.  I have tried to incorporate these questions in my coaching sessions but have found that my students have a very difficult time answering these questions.  I have many students who have difficulties with expressive language, processing, and answering questions.  It is hard for me to get an idea as to how my students think they are reading due to difficulties other than their reading disabilities. 


I believe that kidwatching is a valuable tool.  It allows for teachers to gain insight as to how their students learn and comprehend what they read.  After reading this article, I want to challenge myself to kind a good way to effectively use kidwatching in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. In your position you are constantly kidwatching. It's evident since you are aware of how your children interact with the mandated curriculum as well as how they respond to coaching questions during small group work. I liked that you pointed out your curiosity about whether students learning reading skills within the given curriculum are able to generalize these skills to their personal reading. I would be interested to find that out as well. How effective is this program at growing readers? I think you're on the right track with kidwatching. After reading your other blog posts, I can tell that you're considering ways to integrate different reading opportunities into your classroom. I'd love to hear how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I loved reading how this article validated the ways that you have already been kidwatching in your classroom and how you use your observations of students to help determine which strategies work and which don't and how to best adjust your instruction to meet their needs. You mentioned how you are not currently able to provide students with much choice in your reading block but how you do utilize coaching sessions with students. I share Heather's wondering in wanting to know if students are able to apply the skills learned in the small group work to their own individual reading. I want to encourage you to consider thinking about how you can implement what you are learning about into your practice. Thanks, Dawn

    ReplyDelete