Friday, October 30, 2015

Blog Post # 4 Paula Ross: Organizing an Outstanding Classroom Library

          I am presently in the process of revamping my classroom library.  This chapter provided me with key elements I need to use while going through this process.  Especially helpful was the check list of questions that evaluate how well the library is central and vital to promote reading.  Without a quality library within the classroom, literacy achievement is impeded.  As the chapter reinforces, the stronger the classroom library, the more successful the reading achievement. 
          I found many reminders in the chapter to help me insure my children get the most out of our library.  One is to make sure I provide access for my struggling readers.  To accomplish this, I have worked to include “light reading” material within the baskets.  This includes magazines, picture books, look and find books, and predictable books.  These more manageable materials hold great appeal for all my readers and will help not only encourage engagement, but strengthen fluency. 
          Another way I have boosted the library is to provide more choices of books.  I went from 16 baskets to 30.  Our texts stated that to be adequate, the library needed to contain at least two hundred books.  My last count was over that, so I am thankful.  One way that I work to obtain new and quality reading material each year is through our Scholastic Book Order.  I encourage parents to purchase books as gifts for their children and in doing so, I am able to obtain bonus points to buy books for the classroom.  I would say over one fourth of my library was obtained this way.   However, I do not want to just focus on the quantity.  Our library must obtain material that is interesting to my students.  Each year as we go through author studies, they generally pick a favorite.  It is usually Moe Willems, Eric Carle, and Karma Wilson.  I have worked to include many if not all of the books written by these authors and even try to have multiple copies.  I do not emphasize leveled books at all.  Each basket is simply organized by theme, genre, or author and therefore contains a wide range of levels. 

          Finally, I have worked to make cozy, comfortable, and inviting areas for students where reading can take place.  I tend to work on this each year and still have a ways to go before I will feel that it is perfect.  There are times when students read at their desks, but for pleasure reading, I want them to be completely relaxed and happy.  The whole idea is for them to fall head over heels in love with reading which is the ultimate goal of my classroom library.

2 comments:

  1. Your library sounds amazing. I love that you reflect on the books you make available in your classroom each year. You also have a great strategy for saving money on buying new books. Focusing on topic and genre instead of level is also a wonderful way to encourage students to try out all different books. This is setting a strong foundation where students aren't driven only to read books on their STAR level, but are welcome to pursue their interests. It sounds like you are well on your way to growing students who love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula,
    I appreciate the ways that you are taking the suggestions from Routman in this chapter to improve your already awesome classroom library. Taking time to think about our existing practices and to reflect on how we can make them better ensures that we are more effective each year because we are growing professionally. Thank you for all you do to grow our readers and writers. Dawn

    ReplyDelete