Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blog #3- October- Ch. 2 Bond with Your Students

It's interesting to have a chapter dedicated to the importance of bonding with my students. It's one of those underlying things about teaching I know to do, but have never read before in professional literature. It is so true the importance of making a connection with your students because it makes a world of difference in the classroom. I will never forget last year when one of my students raised her hand and said, "Miss McAbee, I feel so safe with you!" As a first year teacher, that made my year. I want my students to feel safe in my classroom and to know I'm there to help them learn, but also to keep them safe and secure while in my care.

 One of my favorite things about teaching is getting to know my students as individuals. They come to me from all different backgrounds and the world is so exciting to them. It is a really rewarding part of my job just to have a conversation with one of students about their life and what they like to do and funny stories about them and their world. I love getting to know them and sometimes I forget they want to know about me too. At the beginning of the year, I always share about my family and small things about myself.  I'm realizing it would be really special for the students if I shared a new fact or something interesting more often than just at the beginning of the year. I have a few students that get so shy and nervous around me and I know I need to make them feel more comfortable and at ease around me. I'm with my students longer in the day than they are with their parents so it is very important I bond and connect with them.

2 comments:

  1. Developing that bond with students is so important. A quote I loved from the last D6 University was from a TED Talk and stated, "Students won't learn from someone they don't like." It's so true. I realized that in 5th grade but it goes with every age group. They need to see us as champions for their cause. I'm so happy to see that developing those relationships is important to you. I'm sure they would love to hear more about your life throughout the year. This lets them see you as a human that doesn't sleep in her classroom over weekends. :) It will also give you the chance to share how you behave as a learner. Great opportunity to model in a meaningful setting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    Tell me what chapter you read and the author? Both books talk about bonding with our students and they provide specific examples of how to do this through reading strategies. I believe in the importance of forming relationships with our students as well. Tell me what strategies from the text you read that resonated with you and how you are using them in your classroom practice. Sincerely, Dawn

    ReplyDelete