Monday, October 5, 2015

Blog #2 Marie Duncan Working With Struggling Readers

Use meaning, syntax, and visual cues with struggling readers. I get it....use a different strategy between these three instead of just repeating the same strategy a second time.   I do, but struggle with finding the one to one  time.  Peer tutoring, listening to books on tapes, using reading level appropriate computer programs, working with students above level, and working with students on their level.....I see such little progress. I am familiar and have utilized every single strategy discussed in this article.   My response....hang in there, but sometimes I find the 20% drain my energy and enthusiasm for the other 80%.  I need to refer to SAT when I feel this frustrated.  The ability of a PP students being able to function in a third grade classroom is unrealistic.  How on earth did they make it this far?  I realize it doesn't matter.  Just move forward in the interest of the child and our entire class.  When students range from PP to fourth grade, the gap seems awfully large.  What about grouping within three grade levels instead of five?  Is this still a huge NO?    

1 comment:

  1. You're right. It is hard to differentiate for students when the abilities vary so widely. I also get that time is scarce when we are covering so much content. It does matter that you see the need of your students. How are you grouping students in small groups? I'd love to learn more and see if I can help.

    ReplyDelete